Music A.A. Degree and transfer preparation
The Music program offers a wide range of courses in music fundamentals, musicianship, harmony, appreciation, history, technology and musical theatre, as well as group instruction in piano, voice and guitar. Private lessons are available to music majors through the applied music program. Public performance opportunities are provided to both majors and non-majors enrolled in instrumental ensembles, vocal ensembles, and musical theatre productions. It is the goal of the music program to:
- help students develop their musical and intellectual potential to the highest possible level.
- provide a broad foundation of knowledge in the theory, history, literature and practice of performing arts for students wishing to pursue degree, certificate, transfer and vocational agendas.
- promote community awareness of the relationship between music and the history of human values, cultural diversity and the liberal arts tradition.
- promote the development of discipline-specific skills appropriate to the training of those who wish to teach, those who will pursue advanced studies or professional employment, and those who will use their artistic training in community settings and other cultural service areas.
- enable all students to benefit from the cultural richness of our heritage through both traditional and experimental performance practices.
Careers in music include performer, educator, conductor, composer, arranger, accompanist, recording engineer, radio/television audio engineer, music minister, music therapist, private instructor.
Students planning to transfer to four-year institutions and major in music should consult with an advisor regarding the transfer process and lower division requirements.
|MUS 001||Music Theory I||4|
|MUS 002||Music Theory II||4|
|MUS 003||Music Theory III||4|
|MUS 004||Music Theory IV||4|
|MUS 099A||Applied Music, Instrumental||2|
|or MUS 099B||Applied Music, Vocal|
|(2 units chosen from MUS 099A or MUS 099B in consultation with Music Advisor)|
|Select 4 units from the following in consultation with Music Advisor:||4|
|Select one of the following:||37-39|