A student who earns a grade of D, F, FW, NP, NC, W, or EW [as defined in Title 5, sections 55023, 55030, and 58161(d)] for a course may repeat the course to alleviate the substandard grade.
Repeat Limitations for Substandard Grades
Enrollment in a single course may be limited to two enrollments where a grade of D, F, FW, NP, NC, or W has been earned. Students may be allowed one additional enrollment where specific circumstances exist and may submit a petition to repeat by completing the Petition for Exception to Policy and submitting it electronically via their MyCOD Student portal for consideration.
(Title 5, sections 55024, 55040, 55042, 58161, and 58161.5)
Annotation of Record/Course Repetition
A student’s permanent record (transcript) will be annotated in such a manner that all course work will remain legible ensuring a true and complete academic history. Transcripts will be annotated as follows:
- Courses with substandard grades may be repeated in order to raise the grade and grade points. The units attempted, grade, and grade points of the first attempt will be subtracted from the totals for that semester and will be listed on the record with an “R” which denotes repetition. In no case will duplicate units be allowed.
- For students attempting a course for the third time in which a substandard grade was received, the first attempt will be subtracted from the totals. Petitions must include documentation verifying the extenuating circumstance. All subsequent attempts will be averaged together and counted in the calculation of the grade point average. In no case will duplicate units be allowed.
Where a substandard grade is received in the second attempt and extenuating circumstances exist, a student may be allowed to repeat a course a third time, by submitting a Petition for Exception to Policy. The petition must be submitted electronically via their MyCOD Student portal by the printed deadline that may be found in the Schedule of Classes. Students are strongly encouraged to submit petitions one term prior to the scheduled enrollment.
Extenuating circumstances are defined as:
- Illness, hospitalization, or medical reasons
- Illness or death of a family member or loved one
Note: Academic records must demonstrate successful completion of recent courses or terms.
Grades of "C" or Better
Students are not eligible to repeat any other course for which they have been granted a grade of "C" or better except where special circumstances exist which justify repeating the course. Special circumstances include:
- The lapse of time - a significant number of years since the course was completed; and
- The College has properly established a recency prerequisite for a course or program pursuant to Title 5, section 55003, or
- The College or another institution of higher education to which the student seeks to transfer has established a recency requirement which the student will not be able to satisfy without repeating the course in question.
- Legally mandated training where a course may be repeated if “necessary to meet requirements as a condition of paid or volunteer employment” Title 5, section 55041(b). Students enrolling in courses under this provision shall provide documented proof by the employer that such training is necessary to complete legally mandated training for continued paid or volunteer employment.
Grades earned in such cases are not included in the student’s grade point average. The credit is not awarded. The courses, grades, and units will be listed on the student’s transcript.
Petition for Exception to Policy must be submitted electronically via the College's MyCOD Student Portal. It is the responsibility of the student petitioning to look up the deadline for submitting a petition and to provide documentation along with the petition. Students are strongly encouraged to submit petitions one term prior to the scheduled enrollment, well in advance of registration to allow time for the Appeals Review Committee to review.