Credit for Prior Learning
College of the Desert allows the granting of units for validated college-level skills and knowledge gained outside a college classroom, in accordance with Title 5, Sections 55050 and 55052, and Administrative Procedure 4235.
Students may demonstrate proficiency in a course eligible for Credit for Prior Learning and receive college credit through the approved alternative methods for awarding credit listed below:
- Achievement of a satisfactory score on an Advanced Placement (AP) examination
- Achievement of a satisfactory score on a higher level International Baccalaureate (IB) examination
- Achievement of a satisfactory score on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Evaluation of Joint Service Transcripts (JST)
- Achievement of an examination administered by other agencies approved by the district
- Evaluation of industry-recognized credential documentation
- Evaluation of student-created portfolios
- Satisfactory completion of an institutional examination, known as Credit by Examination, administered by the college in lieu of completion of an active course listed in the current college catalog
For more information regarding Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or Credit by Examination please refer to their respective catalog sections.
Eligibility for Credit for Prior Learning
- The student must be in good standing in the district
- The student must have previously earned credit or noncredit from the district or be currently registered in the district
- Current students must have an education plan on file
- The course is listed in the current college catalog
- The student is not currently enrolled in the course to be challenged
- Credit by Examination: The student is registered in the district and not currently enrolled in nor received credit for a more advanced course in the same subject (may be waived by department)
- Credits acquired by examination are not applicable to meeting of such unit load requirements as Selective Service deferment, Veterans, or Social Security benefits. Credits acquired by examination shall not be counted in determining the 12 semester hours of credit in residence required for an associate’s degree.
Prior Learning Assessment Grading Policy
- Grading shall be according to the regular grading system in accordance with Administrative Procedure 4230 Grading and Academic Record Symbols
- Students shall be offered a “Pass/No Pass” option if that option is ordinarily available for the course, in accordance with Administrative Procedure 4230 Grading and Academic Record Symbols.
- Students shall be given the opportunity to accept, decline, or appeal the grade assigned by the faculty, and in cases of Credit by Examination, pursuant to Administrative Procedure 4230 Grading and Academic Record Symbols and Administrative Procedure 4231 Grade Changes
Transcription of Credit for Prior Learning
• The student’s academic record shall be clearly annotated to reflect that credit was earned by assessment of prior learning
Credit for Military Service/Training
Students interested in Credit for Prior Learning using Joint Service Transcripts shall receive credit as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) Directory and approved by the appropriate discipline faculty of the college under the following circumstances:
- The student shall complete the Credit for Prior Learning assessment petition
- Official transcripts must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office. These may include Joint Services Transcript (JST), Sailor/ Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART), Army and American Council on Education Registry Transcript Service (AARTS), Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), Coast Guard Institute (CGI), DANTES/USAFI, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Transcripts (DLIFLC), Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC), DLPT Examinee Results, DA Form 330 Language Proficiency Questionnaire, or verified copies of DD214 or DD295 military records.
- Credit course equivalency shall be determined by the faculty of the appropriate discipline
Industry Recognized Credentials
Students interested in Credit for Prior Learning using industry recognized credential(s)shall receive credit as recommended by the appropriate department chair or faculty designee:
- The student shall complete the Credit for Prior Learning assessment petition and include all industry recognized credential documents
- Enrollment services shall grant credit for industry recognized credential(s) that have already been evaluated and approved by the appropriate department chair or faculty designee
- If an industry recognized credential(s) has not yet been evaluated and approved by the appropriate faculty, the student meets with the department chair or faculty designee to receive further instructions for industry recognized credential(s) assessment
- If the department chair or faculty designee determine the industry certification adequately measures mastery of the course content as set forth in the Course Outline of Record, the appropriate faculty shall sign the petition with the recorded grade, attach the industry recognized credential(s), and forward the completed petition and supporting documents to the Admissions and Records Office to be kept on file and recorded on the student transcript
Administrative Procedure 4235
Education Code Section 79500
Title 5 Sections 55050 and 5505