Non-Evaluation Symbols

The following non-evaluation symbols may appear on official college transcripts:

"I" (Incomplete) is a temporary mark assigned by the instructor when the instructor and student mutually determine that the student has been unable to complete course requirements by the designated ending date of the course according to the following definition.

Definition (Title 5, section 55758): Incomplete academic work for unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term may result in an "I" symbol being entered in the student’s record. The condition for removal of the "I" shall be stated by the instructor in a written record. This record shall contain the conditions for removal of the "I" and the grade assigned in lieu of its removal. This record must be given to the student with a copy on file with the Admissions & Records Office until the "I" is made up or the time limit has passed. A final grade shall be assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated, or when the time limit for completing the work has passed.

The "I" must be made up no later than one semester following the end of the term in which it was assigned.

The "I" symbol shall not be used in calculating units attempted nor for grade points.

An Incomplete is issued only upon mutual agreement between the instructor and the student. The instructor and the student will agree upon coursework and/or other requirements necessary for the removal of the incomplete mark and the grade to be assigned, as well as the grade to which the incomplete will default if the requirements are not met. The student is expected to make up the incomplete by the end of the semester immediately following the receipt of this mark or the grade will default to an "F." In unusual circumstances, the student may petition the instructor for a one-semester extension.

The Incomplete Grade Form is issued only to instructors. In addition to the terms of agreement as outlined in the previous paragraph, this form will contain the student’s signature and the instructor’s signature. The student and the instructor will each retain a copy of this agreement. A third copy will be kept on file with the permanent roster in the Admissions & Records Office.

"IP" (In Progress) mark indicates that work is in progress and that upon completion of this work an evaluative symbol (grade) will be assigned. The "IP" shall not be used in calculating grade point average.

"RD" (Report Delayed) is a mark used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. This mark is a temporary notation and is to be replaced as soon as possible by a permanent symbol. Only the Admissions & Records Office may assign the "RD" mark. The "RD" notation shall not be used in calculating grade point average.

"W" (Withdrawal) is a mark assigned to students who withdraw after 20 percent and prior to 75 percent of the term. Withdrawal after the 75 percent point is not possible. "W" grades are final pursuant to State regulations and cannot be removed. Title 5, section 55024(a)(10)

Effective Summer 2012, in accordance with Title 5, sections 55024 and 55040, a student may not withdraw and receive a “W” symbol on his or her record for enrollment in the same course more than three times. In the event a student has documented extenuating circumstances, they must petition the Appeals Review Committee to enroll again, after having previously received three “W” symbols in the same course. If the enrollment is allowed, the student cannot receive a “W” and must receive an evaluative symbol other than a “W” (Title 5, section 55023) recorded on his or her academic record.

"MW" (Military Withdrawal) is issued when unexpected military duty requires a student to withdraw from their course. A military withdrawal can be granted as a result of an appeal supported by a specific military documentation. The "MW" notation shall not be used in calculating grade point average.

"EW" – Excused Withdrawal: The “EW” symbol may be used (by appeal only with supporting documentation) to denote withdrawal in accordance with Title 5 Section 55024.